The United States deploys soldiers that are physically and mentally capable of challenges that come their way. [R]
Like other military groups, the Special Forces squad lives up to the US Army mantra of being "organized, trained, and equipped to conduct and support special operations." [R]
Therefore, this generation of cadets needs to equip military watches that can stand the test of time and other rigorous conditions. We will go over the best military and tactical watches.
Casio G-Shock GW6900 Watch- Best Overall
The Casio G-Shock series is a popular choice among military members. The GW6900 model and its features do not disappoint. Hence it is the best overall watch on the list.
We have to start by raving about the shock-resistant abilities of the G-Shock timepiece. Members of the Special Forces squad will not have to worry about vibrations or impact that may occur in the middle of their missions.
- Shock-resistant watch featuring LED backlight with day, date, and time display
- Additional features include multi-band six atomic timekeeping, world time, daily alarm with snooze,...
- 41 mm stainless steel case with mineral dial window.Size of case / total weight 53.2 x 50.0 x 17.7mm...
The 20-bar water-resistant depth it possesses guarantees top-notch performance during assignments that involve swimming and immersing underwater. It can even serve as a dive watch due to the high water-resistance level.
An electroluminescent (EL) backlight enables you to view the watch face in any environment, especially during the night time or in dark spots.
Powered by a solar-recharging system, the G-Shock watch will never run out of battery life because it is capable of converting natural and artificial light into sufficient energy.
Precision and accuracy is the name of the game with the watch's use of a superior Japanese Quartz movement. Both 12 and 24-hour formats are present. These are essential for soldiers who find it easier following military time.
- Shock-resistant qualities can withstand hard falls and other forms of impact
- 20-bar water-resistance durability against splashes and water pressure
- Japanese Quartz movement offers utmost precision and accuracy
- EL backlight provides easy-readability of the digital watch face
- Solar-recharging system guarantees a long battery life
The Luminox Colormark timepiece uses a Navy SEAL inspired design that will appeal to members of the US Air Force Pilots and Special Forces battalion. [R] The abundance of features justifies its reasonable price, making it the best value watch.
- Precise Swiss-quartz movement
- Mineral crystal
- Case diameter: 44 mm
For starters, the complementing black dial and orange Arabic numerals can glow about 100 times brighter than most timepieces. It allows for easy readability for pitch-black locations.
The larger numbers display the standard 12-hour format, while the smaller numerals represent the 24-hour military format. A calendar display is positioned at the 3 o'clock marker.
Both the polyurethane case and band provide durability against external damage like water, oil, mildew, etc. The Swiss Quartz watch movement allows for reliable time derivations.
The 200-meter water-resistant depth is essential for missions that require extensive exposure from underwater activities such as diving and rescue operations.
- Glow in the dark features are beneficial for viewing the watch in dark areas
- The polyurethane band and polyurethane case is waterproof
- Reliable timekeeping care of the Swiss Quartz watch movement
- Water-resistance of up to 200 meters
- Mineral crystal may not be as scratch-resistant compared to sapphire
Armitron Sport Digital Chronograph Watch - Best Budget Pick
Even though most Special Forces personnel use uniform watches, some may prefer the more affordable choices.
The Armitron Sport Digital watch should be your top consideration if you want the best low-budget option. Despite it being a military watch, it is also a fashionable timepiece.
- Metallic black resin case and top ring
- LCD display with time, seconds, day and date
- Functions include: chronograph, lap time, alarm, dual time, military time and backlight
Different color patterns can appeal to most watch aficionados. You can go for colors like black, light blue, red, green, etc.
The stationary bezel can also serve as a built-in compass thanks to the north, south, east, and west markers it possesses. This is beneficial for the Special Forces whenever they have missions in areas with little to no directions.
Should a Vietnam War happen again in our lifetime, a day-date-month calendar display gives military members ample time for preparation and planning of their schedules.
Rounding up the watch features are a 100-meter water-resistance, quartz watch movement, a buckle clasp, and a lightweight size of 4 ounces.
- The stationary bezel contains a built-in compass
- A day-date-month calendar can help you plan your schedules ahead of time
- Water-resistant abilities of up to one hundred meters
- Accurate quartz watch movement
- Buckle clasp provides a tight grip on the wrist
- Lightweight composition of up to 4 ounces
- Acrylic dial window may not be as scratch-resistant as mineral or sapphire
Casio G-Shock Sports Watch
Another Casio watch that is capable of impressing the Special Forces squad is the G-Shock sports timepiece.
Like the GW6900 model, it is a shock-resistant watch that can brace for various forms of impact like hard falls, scratches, etc.
- Shock-resistant sport watch featuring multi-function rectangular dial with afterglow EL backlight,...
- 48.5 millimeters resin case with mineral dial window
- Quartz movement with digital display
The rectangular digital dial contains an afterglow EL backlight that can be turned on when you are situated in dim locations. A daily alarm and countdown timer enhance the user experience.
One other advantage the G-Shock watch has over its counterparts is the hourly time signal. This can be helpful when trying to keep track of time and total hours logged for the day.
24 and 12-hour formats are also present in the Special Forces watch. A stainless steel metal stamp, resin band, and mineral dial give the Casio watch utmost protection.
Large case dimensions such as a 48.5 mm case size and 43 mm case thickness are apt for those who have broad wrists.
- Shock-resistant features can handle multiple forms of impact
- EL backlight lets you view your watch at night or in dark spots
- Hourly time signals allow easier time tracking
- The military time format is available
- Stainless steel metal stamp is rust-resistant
- 48.5 mm case diameter may be too chunky for some
Suunto Core All Black Military Watch
Enlisting in the Special Forces or any military group requires you to be adaptable to extreme conditions. Therefore, you need a watch that gives you multiple features. The Suunto Core
Military watch delivers all these and then some.
- Suunto Core: This classic outdoor sports watch is packed with intelligent features like a Storm...
- Essential for Adventure: This watch has dual times, a date display, and alarm, plus predicted times...
- Suunto Sports Watches: Versatile and durable, Suunto sports watches are great for running, swimming,...
It is an ABC watch, meaning you get a built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass. These measure vertical movement, air pressure changes, and directions respectively.
The weather trend graph, sunrise, and sunset times of up to 400 locations let you plan out your itinerary ahead of time. One important feature it also contains is the storm alarm, which keeps track of incoming weather disturbances.
The watch band possesses high elasticity levels due to its silicone rubber material. Therefore, it can adapt and adjust to any wrist size.
The all-black finish provides a sleek design that is perfect for military engagements and training. The Suunto watch has a water-resistant depth of 100-meters and comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Current elevation can be seen thanks to the altimeter
- Barometer and weather trend graph is capable of checking changing weather patterns
- Compass gives you precise directions
- Black silicone band offers maximum elasticity
- Water-resistant of up to 100-meters
Timex Ironman 30 Watch
Timex is another solid provider of tactical watches. The Ironman 30 watch can keep up with other military timepieces thanks to its functionality and design.
Let's start with comfort, one of the watch's top priorities. An adjustable 16 mm resin strap can fit varied wrist sizes. A buckle clasp ensures a tight grip, so you won't have to worry about your watch falling off from the wrist.
- Adjustable black 16 millimeter resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph with 30-lap memory; 24-hour countdown timer. On-screen prompts make setting...
- 3 daily, weekday or weekend alarms; 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; Day, date and month...
Like most tactical watches, the Ironman timepiece employs a quartz watch movement. Therefore, expect reliable timekeeping with the Timex watch.
An Indiglo backlight lets you view your digital dial in the darkest rooms or most extreme conditions. A triple time zone display along with a countdown timer of up to 24 hours optimizes the watch experience.
Capping off the features is a water-resistance of 100 meters, a day-date-month calendar, and a 100-hour chronograph with up to 30 laps.
- Comfortable and adjustable 16 mm resin watch strap
- Buckle clasp guarantees easy fastening and unfastening
- Quartz watch movement delivers precise and accurate results
- Indiglo backlight lets you view the gray dial in the dark
- Acrylic dial window may not be resistant to scratches
Marathon General Purpose Mechanical (GPM) Military Field Watch
Not to be outperformed, the Marathon GPM watch will have military members oozing with amazement. Indeed, it can hold its own among the rest of the pack.
Before we get on with the features, the Marathon watch satisfies government specifications. It shows how higher officials and military personnel put their full trust in the watch manufacturer.
- MIL-SPEC: Built to Government specifications for use by military personnel. Fulfills Nato Stock...
- TRITIUM GAS TUBES: Self illuminating tritium gas tubes glow with no need to be charged by an...
- FIELD WATCH: Designed for general infantry. Features a lightweight high impact fibreshell case and...
Unlike other quartz watches, the Marathon tactical watch operates using a 24 jewel mechanical hand wind movement. Once the watch has been fully wounded by the crown, it will possess a 41-hour power reserve.
Since it is a field watch, durability is a calling card of the Marathon brand. Watch parts like a fibre shell case, sapphire crystal, and a lightweight nylon strap contain waterproof and scratch-resistant abilities.
Another asset of the GPM watch is the easy readability of the black dial, Arabic numbers, and luminescent hands. All in all, the Marathon timepiece is a reliable option if you are looking for comfort and longevity.
- Government specifications prove that the watch is credible and reliable
- 24 jewel mechanical hand-wind movement provides superior accuracy
- 41-hour power reserve requires minimal charging and winding
- Fibre shell case is lightweight
- Sapphire crystal is scratch-resistant
- Nylon strap is sweatproof
- Easy-to-read dial and analog display
Seiko 5 SNZG15 Watch
Finally, we have the Seiko 5 SNZG15 timepiece. Like other watches on the list, it is another high quality you should consider before waging battle.
Similar to the Marathon GPM timepiece, the round-shaped timepiece consists of an easy-to-read black dial. 24 Arabic numeral indices, luminous hands, and a day-date display by the 3 o'clock position surround the Seiko logoed dial.
- Round watch featuring logoed dial with Arabic numeral indices, luminous hands, and day/date window...
- 42 mm stainless steel case with hardlex dial window
- Automatic self-wind movement with analog display
A sweatproof navy blue nylon strap guarantees top-tier comfort. It is coupled with a buckle clasp, which provides a tight grip for the wrist.
Reliable timekeeping is another strong suit of the watch, thanks to its outstanding 23-jewel automatic movement.
Stainless steel casing offers rust-resistant abilities, while a Hardlex crystal dial window is composed of scratch-resistant features.
Large dimensions such as a 42 mm case diameter and 11 mm case thickness benefit those with big wrists. The Seiko timepiece is also a lightweight item, with a size of only 2.65 ounces.
- Easy-to-read dial and analog display
- Nylon strap is waterproof
- Buckle clasp gives the watch a tight grip on the wrist
- 23-jewel automatic self-winding movement provides maximum accuracy
- Stainless steel case is rust-resistant
- Hardlex crystal dial window is scratch-resistant
- Lightweight composition of 2.65 ounces
- Case dimensions may be too chunky for some
What Is the History of Special Forces Timepieces?
Originally, wristwatches were made for women in the early 20th century. Around this period, men would usually equip pocket watches.
During the early years of warfare, military personnel would wear their pocket watches around the wrists. One advantage is it allows them easy access to the current time readings while on the battlefield.
It was not until after World War II when military watches were given to soldiers and other personnel. Unlike dress timepieces, tactical watches prioritize function over fashion.
In short, special ops watches contain features like efficient synchronization and user-friendly buttons.
Why Should You Buy Special Forces Timepieces?
You may be wondering why buying Special Ops watches should be bought even if you are not going to enlist in the military.
However, a tactical watch can also be beneficial if you are on your way to work. These are some of the reasons why you should consider buying at least one of these military watches.
American soldiers did not survive the Vietnam War with incorrect results and inconsistent readings. Instead, military personnel from any Navy SEAL group own watches with reliable timekeeping 24/7.
The military watch employs either an automatic or quartz movement. Regardless of which watch movement you choose, both guarantee the utmost accuracy and superior precision.
Enlisting in the army entails maximum preparedness and high-quality equipment. The last thing you need in the middle of a mission is a timepiece with broken parts.
Thankfully, military watches can withstand the test of time. Watchmakers made sure to manufacture such timepieces with meticulous craftsmanship and durable materials.
Monochromatic Color Scheme
Even though watches for military operations are not made for fashion shows, each tactical watch exhibits fashionable designs that may amaze even the watch critics.
Most tactical watches possess a monochromatic black or navy green color pattern to match the Navy SEAL uniforms and any outfit you have. As a result, the military field watch might be the one accessory that attracts most partygoers.
After going over the different Special Forces timepieces, I hope you can select the one that best satisfies your military needs and everyday use.
For more questions or inquiries regarding these watches, please feel free to contact us.
Links, prices, and images were pulled from the Amazon API. Last updated on 2021-05-06.