The United States deploys soldiers that are physically and mentally capable of challenges that come their way. [R]
Like other military groups, the Special Forces squad lives up to the US Army mantra of being "organized, trained, and equipped to conduct and support special operations." [R]
Therefore, this generation of cadets needs to equip military watches that can stand the test of time and other rigorous conditions. We will go over the best military and tactical watches.
Casio G-Shock GW6900 Watch- Top Overall
The Casio G-Shock series is a popular choice among military members. The GW6900 model and its features do not disappoint. Hence it is the best overall watch on the list.
We have to start by raving about the shock-resistant abilities of the G-Shock timepiece. Members of the Special Forces squad will not have to worry about vibrations or impact that may occur in the middle of their missions.
The 20-bar water-resistant depth it possesses guarantees top-notch performance during assignments that involve swimming and immersing underwater. It can even serve as a dive watch due to the high water-resistance level.
An electroluminescent (EL) backlight enables you to view the watch face in any environment, especially during the night time or in dark spots.
Powered by a solar-recharging system, the G-Shock watch will never run out of battery life because it is capable of converting natural and artificial light into sufficient energy.
Precision and accuracy is the name of the game with the watch's use of a superior Japanese Quartz movement. Both 12 and 24-hour formats are present. These are essential for soldiers who find it easier following military time.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 5/5
- I love the fact that my G Shock GW 6900 watch has tough solar technology, which means that the watch has a solar cell built into the face that charges the battery with everyday lighting conditions, making it incredibly durable and long-lasting. I can wear this watch for years without worrying about changing the battery.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 2/5
- The dial of the GW 6900 watch may have several dials that some people don't like, but I find them interesting and useful. The one on the right side has ten segments that animate as seconds tick by, adding a unique and fun touch to the watch.
- Shock-resistant qualities can withstand hard falls and other forms of impact
- 20-bar water-resistance durability against splashes and water pressure
- Japanese Quartz movement offers utmost precision and accuracy
- EL backlight provides easy-readability of the digital watch face
- Solar-recharging system guarantees a long battery life
The Luminox Colormark timepiece uses a Navy SEAL inspired design that will appeal to members of the US Air Force Pilots and Special Forces battalion. [R] The abundance of features justifies its reasonable price, making it the best value watch.
For starters, the complementing black dial and orange Arabic numerals can glow about 100 times brighter than most timepieces. It allows for easy readability for pitch-black locations.
The larger numbers display the standard 12-hour format, while the smaller numerals represent the 24-hour military format. A calendar display is positioned at the 3 o'clock marker.
Both the polyurethane case and band provide durability against external damage like water, oil, mildew, etc. The Swiss Quartz watch movement allows for reliable time derivations.
The 200-meter water-resistant depth is essential for missions that require extensive exposure from underwater activities such as diving and rescue operations.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 5/5
- This watch is truly impressive with its striking green Arabic numerals, durable carbonox construction, and water resistance of 200 meters.
- I love how easy it is to use the uni-directional bezel on this Luminox watch, and the fact that it is made from super light and durable polyurethane.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 4/5
- I love the way this Luminox watch adds a splash of color with its bright accents, making it a stylish and attention-grabbing accessory.
- Glow in the dark features are beneficial for viewing the watch in dark areas
- The polyurethane band and polyurethane case is waterproof
- Reliable timekeeping care of the Swiss Quartz watch movement
- Water-resistance of up to 200 meters
- Mineral crystal may not be as scratch-resistant compared to sapphire
Armitron Sport Digital Chronograph Watch - Budget Pick
Even though most Special Forces personnel use uniform watches, some may prefer the more affordable choices.
The Armitron Sport Digital watch should be your top consideration if you want the best low-budget option. Despite it being a military watch, it is also a fashionable timepiece.
Different color patterns can appeal to most watch aficionados. You can go for colors like black, light blue, red, green, etc.
The stationary bezel can also serve as a built-in compass thanks to the north, south, east, and west markers it possesses. This is beneficial for the Special Forces whenever they have missions in areas with little to no directions.
Should a Vietnam War happen again in our lifetime, a day-date-month calendar display gives military members ample time for preparation and planning of their schedules.
Rounding up the watch features are a 100-meter water-resistance, quartz watch movement, a buckle clasp, and a lightweight size of 4 ounces.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 5/5
- As a watch enthusiast, I have discovered the highly underrated and robust Armatron Pro Sports Watch. It offers great value for its price, making it an excellent daily beater and work beater. Its durability is impressive, and it can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- I tested the Armatron Pro Sports Watch's durability by dropping it from over six feet high onto a concrete floor, and it survived without a scratch. It has a 100-meter water resistance, making it perfect for water activities like beach sports or swimming.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 1/5
- The Armatron Pro Sports Watch has a massive wrist presence, which is perfect for those who want to make a statement with their watch. It looks fantastic on my wrist, and I can feel confident wearing it wherever I go.
- The stationary bezel contains a built-in compass
- A day-date-month calendar can help you plan your schedules ahead of time
- Water-resistant abilities of up to one hundred meters
- Accurate quartz watch movement
- Buckle clasp provides a tight grip on the wrist
- Lightweight composition of up to 4 ounces
- Acrylic dial window may not be as scratch-resistant as mineral or sapphire
Casio G-Shock Sports Watch
Another Casio watch that is capable of impressing the Special Forces squad is the G-Shock sports timepiece.
Like the GW6900 model, it is a shock-resistant watch that can brace for various forms of impact like hard falls, scratches, etc.
The rectangular digital dial contains an afterglow EL backlight that can be turned on when you are situated in dim locations. A daily alarm and countdown timer enhance the user experience.
One other advantage the G-Shock watch has over its counterparts is the hourly time signal. This can be helpful when trying to keep track of time and total hours logged for the day.
24 and 12-hour formats are also present in the Special Forces watch. A stainless steel metal stamp, resin band, and mineral dial give the Casio watch utmost protection.
Large case dimensions such as a 48.5 mm case size and 43 mm case thickness are apt for those who have broad wrists.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 3/5
- This watch is fully protected overall in every single sight, and I'm pretty sure this one will come in handy just a little bit, providing some gap between the watch and your wrists and hands if you got some sort of ventilation.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 0/5
- It is very comfortable to wear, and it looks great. Barely any gap at all bound, even though we do have this great need to provide some gap, but I already managed, and it didn't serve as much.
- Shock-resistant features can handle multiple forms of impact
- EL backlight lets you view your watch at night or in dark spots
- Hourly time signals allow easier time tracking
- The military time format is available
- Stainless steel metal stamp is rust-resistant
- 48.5 mm case diameter may be too chunky for some
Suunto Core All Black Military Watch
Enlisting in the Special Forces or any military group requires you to be adaptable to extreme conditions. Therefore, you need a watch that gives you multiple features. The Suunto Core
Military watch delivers all these and then some.
It is an ABC watch, meaning you get a built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass. These measure vertical movement, air pressure changes, and directions respectively.
The weather trend graph, sunrise, and sunset times of up to 400 locations let you plan out your itinerary ahead of time. One important feature it also contains is the storm alarm, which keeps track of incoming weather disturbances.
The watch band possesses high elasticity levels due to its silicone rubber material. Therefore, it can adapt and adjust to any wrist size.
The all-black finish provides a sleek design that is perfect for military engagements and training. The Suunto watch has a water-resistant depth of 100-meters and comes with a 2-year warranty.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 5/5
- As a survivalist, having an altimeter, temperature reader, and storm alert on my Suunto Core is essential for precision measurement. The accuracy of these functions is top-notch
- The titanium band on my Suunto Core watch is incredibly durable and tough as nails.
- Changing the battery on my Suunto Core is easy and practical. The 2032 lithium battery is commonly used and lasts for years in storage,
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 3/5
- The lightweight and comfortable fit of my Suunto Core makes it an excellent everyday watch.
- Current elevation can be seen thanks to the altimeter
- Barometer and weather trend graph is capable of checking changing weather patterns
- Compass gives you precise directions
- Black silicone band offers maximum elasticity
- Water-resistant of up to 100-meters
Timex Ironman 30 Watch
Timex is another solid provider of tactical watches. The Ironman 30 watch can keep up with other military timepieces thanks to its functionality and design.
Let's start with comfort, one of the watch's top priorities. An adjustable 16 mm resin strap can fit varied wrist sizes. A buckle clasp ensures a tight grip, so you won't have to worry about your watch falling off from the wrist.
Like most tactical watches, the Ironman timepiece employs a quartz watch movement. Therefore, expect reliable timekeeping with the Timex watch.
An Indiglo backlight lets you view your digital dial in the darkest rooms or most extreme conditions. A triple time zone display along with a countdown timer of up to 24 hours optimizes the watch experience.
Capping off the features is a water-resistance of 100 meters, a day-date-month calendar, and a 100-hour chronograph with up to 30 laps.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 2/5
- With its 100-meter water resistance, this Timex Iron Man Classic 30 watch is perfect for swimming, diving, and snorkeling. I can wear it without worrying about water damage.
- This watch's digital functions are awesome. It displays time in both 12 and 24-hour formats and has a day, date, and month display with running seconds. I can keep track of everything I need to with this watch.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 1/5
- This Timex Iron Man Classic 30 watch has an Indiglo light setting, and its design is awesome, wrapped up in a beautiful package. It's perfect for any occasion and will catch anyone's eye.
- Comfortable and adjustable 16 mm resin watch strap
- Buckle clasp guarantees easy fastening and unfastening
- Quartz watch movement delivers precise and accurate results
- Indiglo backlight lets you view the gray dial in the dark
- Acrylic dial window may not be resistant to scratches
Marathon General Purpose Mechanical (GPM) Military Field Watch
Not to be outperformed, the Marathon GPM watch will have military members oozing with amazement. Indeed, it can hold its own among the rest of the pack.
Before we get on with the features, the Marathon watch satisfies government specifications. It shows how higher officials and military personnel put their full trust in the watch manufacturer.
Unlike other quartz watches, the Marathon tactical watch operates using a 24 jewel mechanical hand wind movement. Once the watch has been fully wounded by the crown, it will possess a 41-hour power reserve.
Since it is a field watch, durability is a calling card of the Marathon brand. Watch parts like a fibre shell case, sapphire crystal, and a lightweight nylon strap contain waterproof and scratch-resistant abilities.
Another asset of the GPM watch is the easy readability of the black dial, Arabic numbers, and luminescent hands. All in all, the Marathon timepiece is a reliable option if you are looking for comfort and longevity.
NanaDC Badass Rating: 3/5
- The self-illuminating tritium gas tubes used in this watch's dial provide a constant light source in dark environments, making it an ideal tool watch. I find this feature particularly useful and appreciate the utilitarian design of the Seiko NH35 movement.
NanaDC Sauve Rating: 5/5
- The stepped bezel and sapphire crystal on this Marathon watch create a beautiful contrast against the bead-blasted black dial surface with printed hour markers and secondary 24-hour scale. I find the syringe style handset and tritium tubes on the hands to be visually striking and appreciate the military-inspired design.
- Government specifications prove that the watch is credible and reliable
- 24 jewel mechanical hand-wind movement provides superior accuracy
- 41-hour power reserve requires minimal charging and winding
- Fibre shell case is lightweight
- Sapphire crystal is scratch-resistant
- Nylon strap is sweatproof
- Easy-to-read dial and analog display
Seiko 5 SNZG15 Watch
Finally, we have the Seiko 5 SNZG15 timepiece. Like other watches on the list, it is another high quality you should consider before waging battle.
Similar to the Marathon GPM timepiece, the round-shaped timepiece consists of an easy-to-read black dial. 24 Arabic numeral indices, luminous hands, and a day-date display by the 3 o'clock position surround the Seiko logoed dial.
A sweatproof navy blue nylon strap guarantees top-tier comfort. It is coupled with a buckle clasp, which provides a tight grip for the wrist.
Reliable timekeeping is another strong suit of the watch, thanks to its outstanding 23-jewel automatic movement.
Stainless steel casing offers rust-resistant abilities, while a Hardlex crystal dial window is composed of scratch-resistant features.
Large dimensions such as a 42 mm case diameter and 11 mm case thickness benefit those with big wrists. The Seiko timepiece is also a lightweight item, with a size of only 2.65 ounces.
- Easy-to-read dial and analog display
- Nylon strap is waterproof
- Buckle clasp gives the watch a tight grip on the wrist
- 23-jewel automatic self-winding movement provides maximum accuracy
- Stainless steel case is rust-resistant
- Hardlex crystal dial window is scratch-resistant
- Lightweight composition of 2.65 ounces
- Case dimensions may be too chunky for some
What Is the History of Special Forces Timepieces?
Originally, wristwatches were made for women in the early 20th century. Around this period, men would usually equip pocket watches.
During the early years of warfare, military personnel would wear their pocket watches around the wrists. One advantage is it allows them easy access to the current time readings while on the battlefield.
It was not until after World War II when military watches were given to soldiers and other personnel. Unlike dress timepieces, tactical watches prioritize function over fashion.
In short, special ops watches contain features like efficient synchronization and user-friendly buttons.
Why Should You Buy Special Forces and Operator-Type Watches?
You may be wondering why buying Special Ops watches should be bought even if you are not going to enlist in the military.
However, a tactical watch can also be beneficial if you are on your way to work. These are some of the reasons why you should consider buying at least one of these military watches.
American soldiers did not survive the Vietnam War with incorrect results and inconsistent readings. Instead, military personnel from any Navy SEAL group own watches with reliable timekeeping 24/7.
The military watch employs either an automatic or quartz movement. Regardless of which watch movement you choose, both guarantee the utmost accuracy and superior precision.
Enlisting in the army entails maximum preparedness and high-quality equipment. The last thing you need in the middle of a mission is a timepiece with broken parts.
Thankfully, military watches can withstand the test of time. Watchmakers made sure to manufacture such timepieces with meticulous craftsmanship and durable materials.
Monochromatic Color Scheme
Even though watches for military operations are not made for fashion shows, each tactical watch exhibits fashionable designs that may amaze even the watch critics.
Most tactical watches possess a monochromatic black or navy green color pattern to match the Navy SEAL uniforms and any outfit you have. As a result, the military field watch might be the one accessory that attracts most partygoers.
After going over the different Special Forces timepieces, I hope you can select the one that best satisfies your military needs and everyday use.
For more questions or inquiries regarding these watches, please feel free to contact us.